A crispy filo dough with a crunchy center that is smothered in simple syrup. This Baklava Crinkle dessert is a must for your dessert table!
Have you tried this new Tiktok trend? This crinkle dessert has gone viral and for good reason! It’s delicious. Typically, this easy dessert is made up of crispy filo dough that is smothered with a custard filling. I switched things up a little by adding a baklava filling instead of the custard. It’s crispy, sweet and delicious!
HOW DO I MAKE IT?
Putting this dessert together is super easy! You’ll start with the simple syrup and allowing it to cool completely. Then you’ll make the filling by roasting your raw cashews and allowing them to cool. In a food processor, you’ll blend the cashews, sugar and cinnamon. In the meantime, you’ll melt some butter and have your filo dough ready.
On a flat surface, you’ll lay out 2 sheets of filo dough then place a strip of the filling along one side of the dough leaving about 1 inch edge. Fold the edge over the filling then roll about half way. Then you’ll start to crinkle the remaining filo dough into itself to create the crinkle effect then placing it into a baking dish. Repeat this process until all the ingredients have been used up.
You’ll brush the entire surface with butter then bake in a preheated oven until golden brown. As soon as it comes out of the oven, you’ll drizzle the simple syrup over the entire baking dish.
TIPS FOR MAKING IT:
1. Make sure your filo dough is at room temperature.
2. Keep a close eye on your cashews, they can burn quickly.
3. Prepare the simple syrup ahead of time to allow it cool completely.
4. Drizzle simple syrup immediately after removing from the oven.
5. Cover filo dough with a towel when it’s not being used.
1 package filo dough
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup simple syrup
Pistachio and cashew nuts for garnish
For the filling:
1.5 cups raw cashews
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the syrup:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp orange blossom
- Start by preparing the simple syrup. In a pot add sugar and water. Stir then place on the stove on high heat. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium. Add lemon & orange blossom. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat & allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spread cashews on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast for 8-10 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through. Allow to cool.
- On a flat surface, place 2 sheets of filo dough then spread a row of the filling along one side of the dough leaving about 1" edge. Fold the edge over the filling then start to roll. Continue rolling until you reach the halfway point then start to crinkle the remaining filo into itself.
- Place in a baking dish then repeat the process until you've used all the ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle 1 cup of the simple syrup over the entire dessert.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios and cashews. Allow to rest for 1-2 hours before serving.